Curbside collection of recyclable materials in unincorporated Jefferson Parish and the Town of Jean Lafitte will begin on July 2, 2012.
Progressive Waste Solutions began delivering the green, 18-gallon recycling bins to residences in Jefferson Parish, and bin delivery will continue through June. Bins will be provided to single and multi-family residences of four (4) units or less.
Recycling collection will be once per week as follows:
East Bank – recycling collection will be on the first garbage collection day.
West Bank – recycling collection will be on the second garbage collection day.
Recyclables should not be placed curbside for collection any earlier than 4:00 pm on the day preceding the regular collection day. Emptied bins must be removed from the curb by noon on the day immediately following collection day.
All recyclables – paper, metal cans, cardboard, etc. – should be placed in the bin. Please rinse all plastic and metal containers prior to placement in the bin.
Residents may request an additional bin by calling the Jefferson Parish Department of Environmental affairs at 731-4612.
• PAPER – newspapers and inserts, phone books, catalogs, magazines, junk mail, advertisement mailers/flyers (envelope labels and windows are acceptable), home office paper (sticky notes, manila envelopes, file folders and paper ream wrappers are acceptable),shredded paper (in plastic bags), dark-colored paper, envelopes and folders, greeting cards and paper bags
• BOXBOARD – thin cardboard like cereal boxes, tissue boxes, shoe boxes, soda cartons, etc.
• CARDBOARD – corrugated cardboard
• ALUMINUM – aluminum cans, such as soda cans, and aluminum foil
• STEEL – steel food cans, such as soup cans and tuna cans
• PLASTIC – containers with the triangle recycling symbol on them with # 1 through #7 inside the triangle
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED
• Glass containers of any kind
• Containers that held chemicals, pesticides, motor oil, paint, acids
• Plastic grocery bags – Check with your local grocery store, as many local retailers accept plastic shopping bags for recycling.
• Styrofoam egg cartons, packing peanuts
• Aerosol spray cans
• Food and beverage containers with a wax coating
Progressive Waste Solutions also will provide a recycling drop-off container located at 500 Seven Oaks Blvd., in Bridge City, on the West Bank. The container is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
Parish President John F. Young, Jr.
Public Information Office
1221 Elmwood Park Boulevard, Suite 1002
Jefferson, LA 70123
504-736-6410 Fax: 504-736-6413
KRISS FORTUNATO, PIO